Amish White Bread

This bread takes about 65 minutes from start to finish including rising and baking.  It's definitely one of my faves.  
With every batch (25 pound bag of flour) that I buy, I have to do a bit of adjustment to the amount of flour I use and I'm sure you will have to as well.  Other factors also include altitude and what kind of yeast you use as well.  
5 1/2 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp salt 
2-4 Tbsp yeast 
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp Oil 
2 cups water at 120 degrees 
In glass bowl add the warm water.  Sprinkle yeast in water and let proof for 10 minutes.  I've got to be honest and say I never let my yeast proof.  Add oil, salt and about half the flour and stir with a wire whisk till mixture is glue like.  Spread the remainder of flour on counter and pour mixture in center.  Work the flour bit by bit until dough starts becoming tacky and flour is incorporated.  
Spray two bread loaf pans with Pam spray.  Cut loaf in half and form into a loaf.  Press loaves in glass pan, coating the dough with oil and turn over greased side up.  
Let rise for 30 minutes.  
Half way through rising (at the 15 minute mark) I turn my oven on to 350 degrees so it's good and warm.  
Place in top shelf of hot oven for exactly 25 minutes.  You might need a few more minutes cooking depending on your preference and how dark you like your loaves.  
If you would like your bread larger and more sandwich~like then increase your rise time.  Baking time will remain the same.
http://www.thethriftyhome.com

4 comments

  1. This sounds delicious! I've been making the Amish Friendship Breads for years, but haven't seen this recipe for a "from scratch" yeast bread. I can almost smell it......yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and encouraging comment Carol! It is delish and very easy to make!

      Delete
  2. This bread looks absolutely delicious! I can't believe it takes only 65 minutes start to finish--I've pinned the recipe and will definitely try it! Thanks so much for sharing it at Grace at Home. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's very simple and fast to make! Thank you for hosting the link up, Richella!

      Delete